Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Early Divorce

I am heartbroken. One of my favorite couples has just come out, in a very public way, to let the universe know they are, after two years, calling it quits. Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds, you ask? Oh, Lord, no. I totally know why they got divorced. They were married in their twenties, right? What, in the name of all that is holy, do people in their twenties know about marriage?

Wait. Let me restate that. What do gorgeous, Hollywood money machines who are hotter than blue flames when they steal away and wed think are going to happen? Do these children know that marriage is work? Heavens, no.  Work is something for which they get paid. Relationships aren't cash cows, why should they have to work at it? "I am having a bad time. I quit." Okay, I get it. It's not as though they had one of those $1,000,000 weddings where they sold the rights to Okay Magazine for another couple of thousand. They were young, in lust, thought this was the right thing to do. They were wrong. Big whoop.

I am talking about Michael C. Hall and his co-star/sister/actress Jennifer Carpenter. When I first read about their marriage, I thought, "What could be cooler? An  A+ actor playing a serial killer who is marrying a co-star who, in the show, totally gets him and loves him and who has got a mouth that makes mine look cleaner than the inside of a bottle of antiseptic solution?" And they are both over 30 years old. And he had cancer, and they both made it through the illness. But no. Now it's over. And it is so not any of my beeswax; but if I find out that Julia Stiles had anything to do with it....well, I will not be a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment